le chateau d eau le chateau d eau

Created in 1974 under the leadership of Jean Dieuzaide, La Galerie Le Château d'Eau is the oldest French public institution exclusively devoted to photography, hosting photographers and exhibitions. It also has a library specializing in photography accessible to the public.
A flagship place for photography marked by its educational vocation and its desire to strengthen its international influence, the Galerie Le Château d´Eau has been celebrating author's photography for over 45 years.
Built in 1823 on the banks of the Garonne, this thirty-meter-high building was initially used, as its name suggests, for the water supply in the center of the city of Toulouse. Since 1971, it has been the subject of registration as a Historic Monument.

©Mickael Zermati / ©Nicolas Galiana

1 Place Laganne

Toulouse, France

Artistic movements